Can Loved Ones Hear Us After They Die? What Years of Mediumship Have Taught Me
One of the most tender questions people ask me rarely comes during a mediumship reading. More often, it happens afterward, when the session has ended and we're simply talking. There's usually a quiet pause before they ask, almost as though they're unsure whether they should say the words out loud.
"Do you think my husband can still hear me when I talk to him?"
Sometimes it's a wife asking about her husband. Other times it's a father wondering about his daughter, a son asking about his mother, or someone who still finds themselves saying good morning every day to the person they've loved and lost. The relationship changes, but the question remains remarkably similar because it's really asking whether love continues after death in a way that allows us to remain connected.
I understand why people ask because many of us continue talking to the people we've lost long after the funeral has ended. We speak to them while driving the car, sitting alone in the house, celebrating family milestones, or facing difficult decisions. Some conversations last only a few seconds. Others are long, heartfelt discussions that leave us feeling as though the person is still very much a part of our lives. Then, almost immediately, doubt begins to creep in. We wonder whether we're comforting ourselves, whether anyone could possibly hear us, or whether we're simply speaking into silence because we miss them so deeply.
Over the years, I've become very careful about answering that question because I don't believe anyone can honestly speak with absolute certainty about every aspect of life after death. Mediumship has taught me a great deal, but it has also taught me humility. The more experiences I've had, the more respect I've developed for the mysteries that still remain. I've never felt the need to promise people certainty where certainty simply isn't available.
What I can share is what I've witnessed after years of sitting with families and communicating with spirit. Again and again I've watched loved ones respond to conversations that the sitter believed had taken place in complete privacy. There have been countless occasions when someone in spirit acknowledged something the person had said while alone in their home, during a walk, or in a quiet moment when no one else was present. Experiences like those have shaped my own understanding far more than any theory or philosophy ever could because they arise from deeply personal moments that neither I nor the sitter expected to become part of the reading.
That doesn't mean I believe we need to speak to our loved ones constantly in order to remain connected. Love has never depended upon constant conversation while people are physically here, and I don't believe it suddenly requires that after death. Relationships have always had their own rhythm. Sometimes we speak often. Sometimes we simply carry someone quietly in our hearts for days or weeks at a time. Neither changes the depth of the bond we share with them.
I've also noticed that people sometimes worry about what they should say. They wonder whether there are special words they should use or whether they should speak aloud instead of silently in their thoughts. I smile whenever that question comes up because I don't believe love has ever been dependent upon perfect words. Think about the people who have known you best throughout your life. They often understood what you meant before you had finished the sentence. They recognized your moods, your expressions, and the emotions behind your words because they knew you so well. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that a relationship built on that kind of closeness would continue to reflect the same familiarity.
At the same time, I've learned not to place expectations on how communication should happen. Some people tell me they feel an immediate sense of closeness when they speak to a loved one. Others never notice anything at all yet still find comfort in talking because it helps them express feelings they haven't shared with anyone else. I don't believe one experience is more meaningful than the other. Every relationship has always been unique, and I see no reason to think that uniqueness disappears simply because someone has died.
As the years have passed, I've found myself thinking less about whether I can prove that our loved ones hear us and more about what I've consistently witnessed during readings. There have been many occasions when someone in spirit has referred to a private conversation the sitter believed no one else knew about. Sometimes it's something spoken aloud while sitting alone in the house. Other times it's a thought whispered during a visit to the cemetery, a quiet conversation while driving, or words spoken before falling asleep at night. Those moments have happened often enough that they have quietly shaped my own understanding.
I don't share that as proof because each person's experiences are ultimately their own. I simply share it because it has become part of my own journey as a medium. Every reading teaches me something, and one of the lessons that continues to unfold is that love appears to remain far more connected than we often imagine. The physical conversation changes because the person is no longer standing in front of us, yet the relationship itself doesn't feel as though it simply disappears.
People sometimes ask whether they should continue talking to their loved one every day. My answer is that there are no rules. Relationships have never been built on rules, and I don't believe they suddenly require them after someone dies. If speaking to your husband while you're working in the garden brings you comfort, then speak to him. If you find yourself saying goodnight to your wife before turning out the light, there is no reason to judge yourself for doing so. If talking to your mother while preparing one of her recipes makes you feel close to her, allow yourself that moment without wondering whether you're doing something foolish.
What I've observed is that those conversations usually have much less to do with seeking answers than they do with maintaining a sense of connection. We continue sharing our lives with the people we love because that's what we've always done. We tell them about the grandchildren, about the vacation they would have enjoyed, about the house that finally sold, or about the family gathering where everyone laughed until they cried. Those conversations don't feel strange to the person having them. They feel like a continuation of a relationship that still matters deeply.
There have also been times when people have asked whether they should stop talking because they worry it might somehow prevent their loved one from moving forward. I understand why that concern arises because there are many ideas about the afterlife that circulate within books, television programs, and social media. Personally, I've never seen evidence that love becomes a burden simply because someone continues speaking from the heart. Healthy relationships have always allowed people to come and go freely, and nothing I've experienced through mediumship has led me to believe that changes after death.
If anything, I've come to appreciate that love isn't limited by the same boundaries we experience in the physical world. We tend to think in terms of distance because that's how we experience life here. Someone is either with us or they're somewhere else. Yet mediumship has gradually encouraged me to think less in terms of distance and more in terms of connection. Those are not necessarily the same thing. Two people can live in the same house and feel emotionally worlds apart, while someone we love who is no longer physically present can still influence the way we think, the choices we make, and the person we're continuing to become.
That doesn't mean every thought we have is a conversation with spirit, nor do I think it's healthy to spend our lives waiting for constant communication. We are still here to live our lives fully, to care for the people around us, to continue growing, and to discover new reasons to smile even while carrying the memory of someone we deeply miss. The relationships we have with those in spirit become one part of our lives rather than replacing the lives we're still meant to live.
Perhaps that's one of the most reassuring things I've learned. Continuing to love someone who has died doesn't require us to remain trapped in grief forever. Love and healing aren't competing with one another. As healing gradually takes place, love often becomes easier to recognize because it begins showing itself through gratitude as much as longing. We still miss the people we've lost, but we also begin noticing how profoundly they've shaped our lives, and that realization has a quiet way of bringing comfort.
I've reached a place where I'm no longer concerned with having every answer about how communication between this world and the next takes place. I'm much more interested in encouraging people to remain honest about their own experiences while giving themselves permission to continue loving the people who will always hold a place in their hearts. That has never required certainty. It has only required an openness to the possibility that relationships built on genuine love may continue in ways that we don't yet fully understand.
People occasionally ask whether I still talk to my son, and the answer is yes. I don't think that's unusual for a parent who has lost a child. There are still moments when something happens in my day and my first instinct is to tell him about it. Sometimes I'll ask him a question, not because I'm expecting a dramatic experience, but because talking with him has simply remained a natural part of our relationship.
Over the years, something else has gradually developed that I wasn't expecting. I've learned to pay attention to the very first thought that quietly comes into my awareness after I've asked him something. It isn't a loud voice, and it doesn't interrupt what I'm doing. It arrives gently, without effort, and over time I've come to recognize a quality to those moments that feels distinctly different from the way my own mind normally works. I don't expect anyone reading this to accept that simply because I've experienced it, but I can honestly say that those quiet responses have proven themselves to me often enough that I trust them.
That trust didn't develop overnight. It wasn't based on wishful thinking or on one particularly emotional experience. It grew slowly through years of noticing a consistency that became difficult for me to ignore. There have been too many moments, too many pieces of evidence, and too many experiences that unfolded in ways I could never have predicted on my own. Each one, by itself, might have been easy to dismiss. Taken together, they gradually formed a picture that changed my understanding of death and, more importantly, changed my understanding of love.
When I think about my son today, I don't think of him only in terms of the day he died. Of course I miss his physical presence, and I suspect I always will. At the same time, my relationship with him has continued to grow in ways I never imagined were possible. It isn't the same relationship we shared while he was physically here, but neither does it feel as though it ended. It evolved. The part of him that laughed, loved, learned, and cared for the people around him is something I continue to experience as very much alive.
I realize that not everyone reading this will interpret experiences the way I do, and that's perfectly all right. My intention has never been to convince anyone to adopt my beliefs. I'm simply sharing what years of personal experience, combined with years of working as an evidential medium, have taught me. If my journey has shown me anything, it's that love appears to be far more enduring than we once believed, and that the relationships which shape our lives continue influencing us long after physical death has changed their form.
For me, that has become one of the greatest sources of peace. I no longer think of my son as someone I lost. I think of him as someone whose life continues to touch mine in a different way than it once did. That understanding hasn't removed the sadness of missing him, but it has transformed the sadness into something that now exists alongside gratitude, hope, and a deep sense that love is far more permanent than our physical lives alone could ever explain.
There is one final thought I'd like to leave you with because I think it's the question that quietly sits beneath all the others.
People ask whether their loved ones can hear them, but what they're really asking is whether the relationship still exists.
After years of working as an evidential medium, and after walking my own path through grief, I believe that's the more important question.
When someone we love dies, the relationship doesn't simply disappear. It changes in ways we never expected, and for a time those changes can feel confusing because we're trying to navigate something we've never experienced before. We naturally long for the familiar conversations, the hugs, the laughter, and all of the ordinary moments that once filled our days. Nothing can completely replace those things, nor should it.
At the same time, I've come to believe that love isn't dependent upon physical presence. If it were, every person we've ever loved would disappear from our lives the moment they took their last breath. Yet that's not what most of us experience. We continue thinking about them. We continue learning from them. We continue making decisions based on values they helped instill in us. We continue telling their stories to our children and grandchildren because they're still very much part of our lives.
Perhaps that's why I no longer spend much time asking whether love survives death.
I've seen too much to believe otherwise.
For me, the more meaningful question has become how we choose to continue the relationship while we're still here. Do we allow grief to convince us that everything ended, or do we remain open to the possibility that love simply finds a different way to express itself? That's a question each of us must answer from our own experiences, and I would never presume to answer it for someone else.
What I can tell you is that my own understanding has grown through thousands of readings, through years of personal experiences, and through the privilege of watching grieving families recognize unmistakable evidence from the people they thought they had lost forever. Those moments have never made me feel that I've solved the mysteries of the afterlife. If anything, they've made me more humble. They've reminded me that there is far more about consciousness, love, and our continuing relationships than any of us fully understand.
That realization has become deeply comforting to me because it allows wonder to exist alongside honesty. I don't feel the need to explain every experience, and I don't feel pressured to convince anyone else to see the world the way I do. I've learned that genuine faith, whatever form it takes, rarely grows from someone else's certainty. More often, it grows quietly through our own experiences, our own reflections, and the moments that touch our hearts in ways we cannot easily dismiss.
If you continue talking to the person you love, I hope you'll never feel embarrassed about that. Speak from your heart the same way you always have. Share the happy moments, the difficult days, and the ordinary events that once filled your conversations together. Whether those words are heard exactly as you hope is something each person must come to understand through their own journey. What I do know is that love has never been diminished by expressing it, and I've never known anyone to regret telling someone they loved them.
If, one day, you find yourself sensing a quiet response, receiving a meaningful piece of evidence during a reading, or simply experiencing a moment that leaves you feeling deeply connected to the person you miss, allow yourself to sit with it before rushing to explain it away. You don't have to force a conclusion, nor do you have to defend the experience to anyone else. Some of the most meaningful moments in life are deeply personal, and perhaps they're meant to remain that way.
My hope, more than anything, is that these articles have helped you feel a little less alone. Grief can be an incredibly isolating experience, especially when you're carrying questions that seem too personal to ask anyone else. If our conversation has reassured you that those questions are normal, that your love hasn't diminished simply because someone died, and that it's all right to remain both open-hearted and thoughtfully grounded, then I feel we've spent this time together well.
Whether our paths cross through these articles, through my book, or one day during an evidential mediumship reading, I hope you'll always remember this.
The deepest relationships we experience in this lifetime leave an imprint that death cannot erase. They continue shaping us, teaching us, and reminding us that love has always been much larger than the physical lives we were fortunate enough to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment