Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Do I Need to Talk to My Loved One Every Day to Stay Connected?

Do I Need to Talk to My Loved One Every Day to Stay Connected?

A woman once confessed to me that she'd gone almost a full week without talking to her late husband, and she felt terrible about it. She'd been busy with work, with her grandchildren, with the ordinary chaos of an ordinary week, and somewhere in the middle of all that, the daily conversations she used to have with him quietly slipped away for a few days. When she noticed, guilt hit her almost immediately, as if she'd let him down somehow.

I hear this more often than you might expect. People build a routine of talking to their loved one, sometimes every morning, sometimes every night before bed, and when life gets busy enough to interrupt that routine, they worry it means something about the strength of their love or their connection. As though missing a day is the same as forgetting.

I don't believe that's true, and I never have.

Think about the relationships you had with people while they were still living. Did you talk to your best friend every single day? Did you call your father every morning without fail? For most of us, even the deepest relationships had their own natural rhythm. Some weeks were full of conversation. Other weeks passed with barely a word, and the bond was no weaker for it. Love was never dependent on constant contact while someone was alive, so I don't see a good reason it would suddenly require that after they've died.

What I've come to believe, after years of sitting with families and communicating with spirit, is that the relationship itself doesn't hinge on a daily habit. It hinges on the depth of what was shared while that person was here, and on the ongoing willingness to keep them present in your life in whatever way feels natural. Some days that looks like a long conversation in the car. Other days it looks like simply thinking of them while making their favorite meal, without saying a single word out loud.

I told the woman with the guilty conscience that her husband wasn't keeping score. Nothing I've witnessed through mediumship suggests that spirit is sitting somewhere tallying missed days like an accountant. What consistently comes through instead is something much gentler. Loved ones in spirit seem far more interested in whether we're living well than in whether we checked in with them on schedule.

If you've missed a day, or a week, or longer, I'd encourage you to let that guilt go. The relationship hasn't weakened. You haven't done anything wrong. Love has never needed a perfect attendance record to remain real, and I don't believe it needs one now.




More to Explore

Continue Reading? If this spoke to you, you might also like Can Loved Ones Hear Us After They Die? What Years of Mediumship Have Taught Me, where I go deeper into what I believe actually happens when we talk to spirit.

Ready to Experience a Reading? If you're feeling drawn to connect with a loved one in spirit, I'd be honored to work with you.

Book a mediumship reading at www.aperfectsoul.com

Browse More Articles Explore more articles about mediumship, signs from loved ones, grief, dreams, and the afterlife on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Talking to Spirit Actually Feels Like

  What Talking to Spirit Actually Feels Like People often ask me what it's actually like when I communicate with someone in spirit duri...