What to Do When You Ask for a Sign and Nothing Happens
I remember a young man who came to me a little frustrated, though he tried hard not to show it. He'd asked his mother, out loud, standing at her grave, to send him a sign that she was okay. He gave her a deadline without quite meaning to. If it hasn't happened by her birthday, he told himself, then maybe it never will.
Her birthday came and went. Nothing happened. No dream, no unusual bird, no song on the radio that felt too perfectly timed to ignore. He told me he felt almost embarrassed admitting how disappointed he was, as if grief had turned him into someone who believed in things he never used to believe in, only to be let down by them.
I understand that disappointment completely, and I don't think it makes anyone foolish for feeling it. Asking for a sign comes from a place of real love and real longing. It's not superstition so much as it is hope reaching for something to hold onto.
What I've learned over the years, though, is that a deadline is probably the one thing that gets in the way more than anything else. When we set a specific date, a specific symbol, a specific outcome we're watching for, we end up narrowing our attention so tightly that we can miss almost everything else happening around us. We're so focused on looking for a cardinal that we forget to notice the dream that already happened, or the memory that surfaced out of nowhere during a completely ordinary afternoon, or the unexpected comfort we felt during a conversation with an old friend.
I asked that young man to tell me more about his mother instead of asking about signs. He talked for a long while, about her stubbornness, her terrible sense of direction, the way she used to hum while she cooked without ever noticing she was doing it. Somewhere in the middle of that conversation, he mentioned that he'd started humming the same way lately, without thinking about it, usually while making dinner.
He stopped talking mid-sentence. I watched it hit him.
That habit wasn't a cardinal. It wasn't a dream. It didn't arrive on a deadline he'd set for her. But it was undeniably her, living on in something as small and ordinary as the sound he made while cooking dinner alone in his own kitchen.
If you've asked for a sign and nothing has happened the way you expected, I'd gently invite you to loosen your grip on what you were watching for. Signs rarely show up on command, and they rarely look exactly like the story someone else told you. Sometimes the most meaningful evidence that love continues isn't something you're waiting to receive. It's something you're already carrying, quietly, without realizing it yet.
If This Resonated With You...
Continue Reading? You might also like Why Some People Don't Receive Signs From Loved Ones Right Away, where I talk more about why comparison can get in the way of recognizing what's already there.
Ready to Experience a Reading? If you're feeling drawn to connect with a loved one in spirit, I'd be honored to work with you.
Book a mediumship reading at www.aperfectsoul.com
Browse More Articles Explore more articles about mediumship, signs from loved ones, grief, dreams, and the afterlife on the blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment