Are Cardinals, Butterflies, Feathers, and Coins Really Signs From Heaven?
One of the topics that comes up most after someone loses a loved one has nothing to do with mediumship at all. Instead, people want to tell me about something that happened on an ordinary day that they haven't been able to shake. A cardinal appeared outside the kitchen window the exact moment they were thinking of their husband. A butterfly landed nearby during a funeral. A feather turned up somewhere it had no business being. A coin showed up with timing too perfect to be nothing. By the end of the story, they almost always ask the same thing: Do you think that was really a sign?
I've learned the object is rarely what they're actually asking about.
What they really want to know is whether the relationship they had with someone still has a way of continuing, in some form they don't fully understand yet. The cardinal, the butterfly, the feather, the coin, it's just the doorway into a much bigger conversation about love, loss, hope, and whether death is really the end of things.
I once talked with a woman who'd recently lost her husband. She'd been sitting in her backyard, feeling especially lonely that afternoon, when a butterfly landed on the arm of her chair. It stayed there for several minutes, long enough that she stopped crying and just watched it. She wasn't someone who normally paid butterflies any mind, and she wasn't out looking for signs. If anything, she admitted, a year earlier she'd have smiled politely at someone telling her this same story and quietly thought they were reading too much into it.
What stuck with her wasn't the butterfly. It was the sudden, unexpected comfort that came over her while she watched it. For a few minutes, the loneliness that had been sitting so heavily on her chest seemed to lift, and by the time the butterfly flew off, she felt different than she had ten minutes before. That's the part she wanted help understanding: whether it had been spiritual, or just something emotional playing tricks on her.
I don't think there's anything strange about wondering that.
Grief makes us notice things we might otherwise have walked right past. Our hearts go looking for reassurance because the person we love isn't physically here anymore, and it's completely understandable to wonder if moments like these carry something deeper. Still, I've never been comfortable telling someone that every butterfly means one thing, or every cardinal means another. The longer I do this work, the more I've come to see how personal these experiences really are.
Over the years, people have shared hundreds of stories with me, and no two have ever matched. What makes them meaningful isn't the object, it's the relationship behind it. A cardinal might bring one person straight back to a father who loved watching birds from the kitchen window, while someone else walks right past that same bird without a second thought. A feather might bring one family member to tears because of what it connects to, while another sees nothing but a feather caught in the wind. The meaning was never in the object. It was in the life shared before the loss.
That's part of why I get wary of those lists claiming to tell you exactly what every "sign from heaven" means. I get why they're popular. Grief makes us hungry for certainty, and it's tempting to want someone to confirm, definitively, that a certain bird or butterfly always carries a specific message. My experience points somewhere else entirely. The most meaningful moments are almost always deeply personal. They reflect a unique relationship, not a universal formula.
A conversation with another gentleman illustrates this well. After his wife died, he started noticing cardinals everywhere. At first he brushed it off. He'd heard people say cardinals meant visits from loved ones, and he wasn't sure he bought it. Then he remembered something he hadn't thought about in years. Every winter, his wife would drop whatever she was doing the moment a cardinal landed in their backyard. She loved watching them, and she'd call him over to the window like she was introducing him to an old friend. During their marriage, he'd smile, walk over, admire the bird for a few seconds, and go back to whatever he'd been doing. It wasn't until after she died that those small interruptions became some of his most treasured memories.
By the time he finished telling me the story, we weren't really talking about birds anymore. We were talking about a woman who found joy in simple things, and a husband who missed being called to the window. Whether the cardinal itself carried a message from spirit became almost beside the point. What mattered was that his wife had become vividly present in his thoughts again. The bird opened a door to a memory he hadn't visited in a while, and when he stepped through it, he found himself smiling instead of crying.
Experiences like that shaped how I think about signs now. I don't start with the object, I start with the relationship. If someone tells me they found a dime, my first thought isn't whether dimes carry some spiritual meaning. I want to know whether dimes meant something to the person they lost. If a certain song came on unexpectedly, I want to know whether that song was part of their life together. Those details tell me far more than any universal list ever could, because love is deeply personal, and it leaves behind memories that belong only to the people who lived them.
I also understand the frustration of asking for a sign and getting nothing back. I've heard it more times than I can count. Someone quietly admits they asked their husband, wife, mother, or child to send them a butterfly or a feather or some unmistakable signal, and weeks later, the silence has them convinced they weren't heard. My heart goes out to them every time, because I know how badly they're longing for reassurance. But I don't believe love gets measured by whether a symbol shows up on schedule. Relationships are richer than that. They don't reduce to a checklist after someone dies.
Looking back over the hundreds of readings I've done, spirit has surprised me far more often than it's followed my expectations. Evidence shows up in ways nobody could have predicted, tied to a private joke, a strange family tradition, something that meant everything to the sitter and nothing to anyone else in the room. Those moments have taught me to hold my own assumptions loosely. The spiritual world doesn't seem interested in fitting itself into our categories. What consistently comes through instead is personality, love, and the sheer uniqueness of the relationship itself.
So I encourage people to worry less about collecting signs and pay more attention to what genuinely touches them. If something brings you comfort, reminds you of someone you love, or helps you feel connected to a cherished memory, you don't need my permission to hold onto it. You don't need to convince anyone else it was real, either. Some moments are meant to stay personal. Their value was never about whether someone else believes you. It's about what the moment awakens in you, and the quiet reminder that love keeps leaving fingerprints on your life long after the physical presence is gone.
Thinking back over all these conversations, I'm reminded that signs are rarely about satisfying curiosity. More often they touch something deeper, a relationship that still matters, even though it's changed shape. They pull us out of an ordinary day for a moment and hand us back someone whose love helped make us who we are.
I've also noticed that the people who find the most peace aren't usually the ones hunting for the next sign. They're the ones who stay open to whatever unfolds naturally. They're not scanning the ground for feathers every morning, or spiraling because a cardinal skipped a week. Somewhere along the way, their attention shifts from searching for proof to appreciating the countless ways love keeps showing up in their lives. That shift doesn't happen overnight, but when it does, grief tends to feel a little less lonely.
There was a time I thought the most important question was whether an experience could be proven to come from spirit. Years of sitting with grieving families changed my mind. Now I care much more about what an experience does for the person having it. If it opens your heart, brings someone to mind with gratitude instead of only sadness, or helps you feel connected to a relationship that still matters to you, I don't think that needs to be measurable to be real.
Love has always been personal. No two relationships are identical, so it makes sense that no two experiences after loss would be either. Your father might have had a favorite bird that means nothing to another family. Your wife might have collected butterflies, while someone else thinks instantly of their mother at the first notes of a particular song. Those connections don't need to match anyone else's definition to matter, because they're yours, not anyone else's.
That's why I've never felt right telling people what to believe about their own signs. I think each of us has to arrive at that on our own. It was never my job to decide what a feather, a butterfly, a coin, or a cardinal means to you. My job is just to encourage you not to dismiss what genuinely touches your heart, while staying thoughtful and grounded at the same time. Those two things can absolutely live side by side.
Maybe the real gift these experiences offer isn't answering every question about what comes after death. Maybe it's something quieter than that. They remind us to keep our hearts open. They remind us the people we've loved still hold a place in our lives, and that remembering them with tenderness never needs an apology. Grief changes the shape of a relationship, but it doesn't erase the years, the love, the laughter, the shared memories, the ordinary moments that made it all matter.
If you came here hoping I'd tell you exactly what a cardinal, a butterfly, a feather, or a coin means, I can't honestly give you that. What I can tell you is that the most meaningful experiences I've witnessed almost always reflected the uniqueness of the relationship itself, never a universal symbol, always an unmistakable reminder of one particular person whose love had woven itself into someone else's life.
If you've had one of those moments, keep it close. You don't owe anyone an explanation for it. Let it become part of your story. And if you've been hoping for a sign and it hasn't come yet, please don't take that to mean you've been forgotten. Love has a way of showing up when we least expect it, in ways we could never have planned. Sometimes it's something we see. Sometimes it's a memory that catches us off guard and makes us smile. Sometimes it's just a quiet moment where we realize the person we miss is still shaping how we live, how we love, and the choices we make every day.
One of the privileges of doing this work is witnessing those deeply personal connections during readings. It was never my place to decide what a piece of evidence should mean to someone. I simply pass along what I'm shown, and let the sitter recognize the memories and details that belong to their relationship with the person in spirit. Again and again, those moments of recognition speak far louder than anything I could add. They remind me that every relationship is one of a kind, and maybe that's exactly why the most meaningful signs are, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment