The Quiet Signs of Healing No One Talks About
Someone once asked me how she would know if she was actually healing, or if she was just getting better at hiding how bad things still were. It was a fair question, and one I don't think gets asked enough. Most of what we hear about healing focuses on the big, obvious markers. Going back to work. Smiling in photographs again. Getting through a holiday without falling apart. Those things matter, but I've come to believe the real evidence of healing usually shows up somewhere much smaller and much quieter.
I told her to notice the next time she caught herself laughing at something her husband would have found funny, without immediately feeling guilty about it. I told her to pay attention to the day she heard his favorite song on the radio and, instead of turning it off, let it play. Those moments rarely announce themselves. They slip in quietly, almost accidentally, and if you're not paying attention, you can miss them completely.
Healing, in my experience, almost never arrives as a single dramatic turning point. It builds slowly, through a long series of small shifts most people don't even notice until they look back and realize how far they've come. The empty chair at the table stops being the first thing you see when you walk into the room. You start telling a favorite story about them without your voice breaking halfway through. You catch yourself making plans for next year without the automatic flinch that used to come with imagining a future without them in it.
None of those moments feel significant while they're happening. That's exactly why I think they deserve more attention than they get. We're so used to looking for the big breakthrough that we walk right past the quiet ones, the ones that are actually doing most of the real work.
I've also noticed that healing doesn't mean missing someone less. It means learning to carry that missing differently. The sadness doesn't disappear so much as it makes room for other things to exist alongside it. Gratitude. Humor. Ordinary happiness that doesn't feel like a betrayal anymore. If you're waiting to feel like grief has fully lifted before you'll believe you're healing, you may be waiting for something that was never going to happen quite that way. Healing usually looks less like an ending and more like learning to hold two things at once, the loss and the love, without either one canceling out the other.
If you've noticed small changes in yourself since your loss, even ones that felt too minor to mention to anyone, I hope you'll let yourself count them. They are not proof that you've forgotten. They're proof that love found a way to keep growing, even in the middle of everything that's been so hard.
Keep Exploring...
Continue Reading? You might also enjoy Why Grief Sometimes Heightens Spiritual Experiences, where I talk more about the quiet ways grief opens us up, rather than shutting us down.
Ready to Experience a Reading? If you're feeling drawn to connect with a loved one in spirit, I'd be honored to work with you.
Book a mediumship reading at www.aperfectsoul.com
Browse More Articles Explore more articles about mediumship, signs from loved ones, grief, dreams, and the afterlife on the blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment