Why Some People Don't Receive Signs From Loved Ones Right Away
I remember a gentleman telling me that after his wife died, someone suggested he ask her for a sign. They also told him cardinals were often considered visitors from heaven, so every morning he found himself looking out into the garden hoping one would show up. Days turned into weeks, then weeks turned into months. Nothing happened that matched what he'd been told to expect, and little by little he started wondering if he was asking for something that was never going to happen.
A few years later, he was cleaning out a drawer looking for some paperwork when he found a birthday card his wife had given him not long before she died. Tucked inside was a handwritten note thanking him for making ordinary days feel extraordinary. He'd completely forgotten it was there.
As we talked about that moment, something became clear. He wasn't interested in proving his wife had somehow guided him to the card. That question no longer seemed important to him. What stayed with him was the comfort he felt the moment he read her words. Whether it happened through coincidence, timing, or something we don't fully understand wasn't where his attention landed. He just knew that reading her note that particular day brought him a peace he hadn't felt in a long time.
Thinking about conversations like that one over the years, I've come to believe one of the biggest obstacles to healing is comparison. We compare our grief to someone else's. We compare how long it takes to feel better. We compare our spiritual experiences, or the lack of them, and before long we're reaching conclusions that aren't fair to ourselves at all.
I've watched people convince themselves that because they haven't had a visitation dream or noticed an unmistakable sign, their loved one must be further away than someone else's. I've heard people wonder if they simply weren't loved as deeply, because nothing unusual has happened since the funeral. Those are heartbreaking conclusions, built on something none of us can actually prove.
The truth is, relationships have always been wonderfully individual. Think about the people still in your life right now. There are friends you talk to every day and others you see once or twice a year, and yet the love you feel for them isn't measured by how often you talk. Some people are naturally expressive. Others show love quietly, through small acts of kindness. We understand those differences instinctively while people are living. I'm not sure why we'd expect every relationship to suddenly follow the same pattern once someone has died.
That thought has stayed with me because I've seen it reflected in so many readings. The personalities that come through don't suddenly become identical. The quiet father who never used many words in life often comes through differently than the grandmother who could talk to anyone for hours. The practical husband who showed love by fixing everything around the house doesn't suddenly turn poetic once he's in spirit. They still feel like themselves, and I think that's one of the most comforting parts of evidential mediumship. Love survives. So does personality.
Maybe that's why I've grown hesitant whenever someone insists there's only one right way for signs to show up. It doesn't match what I've experienced. If every relationship is unique, it makes sense that the way we experience comfort would be unique too. What reassures one person might mean very little to someone else, not because one experience matters more, but because every relationship carries its own history, its own memories, its own language.
I remember a gentleman who was growing more and more discouraged because he'd never had any of the experiences people commonly talk about. No dream of his wife since she died. No feathers in unusual places. No repeated numbers on the clock, no felt presence while sitting alone. By the time we met, he'd nearly convinced himself she'd simply moved on without him.
I asked him to tell me about his wife instead of asking him about signs.
For the next twenty minutes, he smiled more than he had since walking through my door. He described how she'd laugh so hard she'd snort without realizing it. He talked about Sunday mornings in the garden together, how she insisted on naming every bird at the feeder outside their kitchen window, even though she usually guessed wrong. He laughed telling me she bought greeting cards months in advance because she was afraid she'd forget someone's birthday.
When he finished, I asked him a question.
"How often do you think about those things?"
He looked at me for a moment, then quietly said, "Every single day."
I nodded, because I wanted him to notice something he hadn't considered. His wife hadn't disappeared from his life. She was still shaping his thoughts, still living in his memories, still bringing a smile to his face years after she died. None of that proved she was sending him signs, but it didn't suggest she was absent either. Love had kept weaving itself into his everyday life in ways he'd stopped noticing, because he'd been measuring his experience against someone else's definition of spiritual communication.
That conversation stays with me because I think many of us do the same thing. We get so focused on looking for the extraordinary that we stop recognizing the quiet ways love keeps living inside us. Sometimes healing arrives through an unexpected dream. Sometimes through a meaningful coincidence. Other times it comes so gently that we only recognize it when we look back and realize we're carrying our grief differently than we once did.
Those quieter moments deserve just as much respect, because they're every bit as real.
Healing often begins long before we recognize it's happening. In the middle of grief, our attention naturally goes to what's missing. The empty chair at the table. The quiet house. Birthdays and anniversaries that carry a different kind of weight now. It's understandable, because loss changes the entire shape of our lives, and in those early days it's hard to imagine ever feeling like ourselves again.
As time passes, something very gentle starts to happen. It rarely announces itself, which is probably why so many people miss it. One day you're talking about your loved one without immediately crying. Another day their favorite song comes on, and instead of your heart sinking, you smile at a memory it brings back. There may come a moment when you catch yourself laughing at something they would have found funny, and for the first time you don't feel guilty for laughing.
Those moments aren't a sign you've stopped loving them.
They're a sign that love is slowly finding a new place to live inside you.
I think that distinction matters, because a lot of people worry that healing means leaving someone behind. They get concerned that if life starts feeling lighter, they're being disloyal to the person they lost. I've never believed that's true. Love was never measured by how long we stay overwhelmed by grief. If it were, none of us would ever want to heal, because we'd mistake suffering for devotion.
During a reading, I often see the exact opposite. The loved ones who come through don't ask their families to stay stuck in sadness. Again and again, the messages carry the same thread. They want their people to keep living. Enjoy the grandchildren, take the trip you kept postponing, spend time with friends, keep building a meaningful life. Hearing those messages has changed how I look at grief, because they remind me love has never asked us to stop living to prove we cared.
Which brings me back to signs.
Maybe one of the greatest signs isn't something we see with our eyes. Maybe it's the gradual change taking place inside our own hearts. The overwhelming sadness slowly mixes with gratitude. Regret gives way to appreciation. Memories that once felt almost unbearable slowly become treasured parts of our story instead of constant reminders of what we lost.
Those changes might not be as dramatic as finding a feather somewhere unexpected, but I wouldn't call them any less meaningful. If anything, I think they're some of the most profound experiences grieving people ever have, because they represent something deeper than a single moment. They represent healing taking root.
I remember a woman who lost her mother after a long illness. She apologized during our conversation because she hadn't had any of the experiences she'd read about in books or seen described online. No dreams, no unusual coincidences, nothing unmistakable that convinced her her mother was nearby. She felt almost embarrassed admitting she'd been waiting for something extraordinary, and had started wondering why everyone else's stories seemed more remarkable than her own.
As we kept talking, she mentioned something almost in passing. Every Sunday morning, she found herself making her mother's pancake recipe for the grandchildren. While she cooked, she could almost hear her mother reminding her not to rush the batter, because "good pancakes are worth waiting for." She laughed repeating the phrase, something her mother had said for years.
I asked how she felt during those Sunday mornings.
She thought about it, then said, "Honestly, it's the closest I feel to her now."
I don't think she realized what she'd just told me.
She'd been searching for a sign while overlooking a beautiful continuation of the relationship she shared with her mother. Every Sunday, without giving it much thought, she was honoring her mother's memory, passing along a family tradition, and telling stories that made sure her grandchildren would know the woman who loved them so deeply.
That wasn't a small thing.
It was love, continuing to move through another generation.
Whether someone calls that a sign is entirely up to them. I think labels matter far less than the experience itself. What I saw was a daughter whose relationship with her mother hadn't ended. It had changed. The conversations looked different. The connection looked different. But the influence of that relationship was still very much alive, shaping her own life and her children's lives too.
That's part of why I've become less interested in helping people identify signs and more interested in helping them recognize the many ways love keeps expressing itself. Sometimes those expressions are unmistakable. Other times they're woven so naturally into everyday life that we almost miss them. Either way, they remind us that the people who touched our lives most deeply rarely stop influencing us just because we can no longer see them.
For me, that's one of grief's quiet miracles. It teaches us that although death changes the form of a relationship, it doesn't erase its meaning. The love we shared keeps shaping our choices, our traditions, our values, even the stories told around the dinner table. Looking at it that way, maybe we've been surrounded by signs all along. We just hadn't noticed that some of the most meaningful ones were already living quietly inside us.
Reflecting on these conversations over the years, I've become less interested in answering the question "why didn't I receive a sign" and far more interested in helping people see that they haven't been abandoned just because their experience looks different from someone else's.
I think that's one of grief's greatest dangers, comparison. It quietly convinces us that someone else's story is the standard we should measure our own against. Before long, we're questioning experiences that meant something to us simply because they didn't happen the way someone else said they should.
Grief has enough challenges without adding that one.
Part of why I enjoy writing pieces like this is that they give us permission to step away from those expectations and just be honest about where we are. Some people have vivid dreams that stay with them for years. Others notice meaningful coincidences that arrive at just the right moment. Many people describe neither of those, and slowly discover that the relationship they thought they'd lost is continuing in quieter, no less meaningful ways.
There's real wisdom in letting those experiences unfold naturally instead of chasing them.
When we're searching desperately for something, we become so focused on what isn't happening that we miss what is. Our attention narrows. We start evaluating every dream, every bird, every song on the radio, wondering if this is finally the sign we've been waiting for. That's an exhausting way to grieve, because it puts all our hope on an event we can't control.
What I've seen bring far more peace is something much simpler.
Keep loving the person you've lost.
Talk about them when you feel like it. Tell your children and grandchildren the stories that made them who they were. Cook their favorite recipes. Smile when a memory makes you laugh. Let yourself miss them without believing missing them is the only way to honor them.
I've never met anyone who wanted to be remembered only through tears.
The people who come through during readings almost always remind us of how much they enjoyed living. They talk about family gatherings, shared jokes, holidays, ordinary moments around the table, the countless small memories that make up a life. Listening to those conversations has taught me that love doesn't ask us to stay trapped in sorrow. It asks us to remember well.
Maybe that's why I don't think the question is whether you've received a sign anymore.
Maybe the better question is whether the relationship is still changing you.
When someone you love has shaped your values, your character, the way you care for other people, even the traditions you keep alive, their influence is still very much present. That's true whether you've ever seen a cardinal outside your window or had a visitation dream that felt incredibly real.
Those experiences may come.
They may not.
Neither one tells you how deeply you were loved.
Looking back over hundreds of conversations with grieving families, I'm reminded every journey has its own pace. Some people find moments of peace surprisingly early. Others need much longer before they feel like they're standing on solid ground again. Neither path is better. They're simply different, just as every relationship is different.
So if you've been waiting for a sign and wondering why nothing extraordinary has happened, I hope you'll be a little gentler with yourself after reading this. Don't let someone else's story become the measuring stick for your own healing. Stay open to whatever life brings, but don't overlook the quiet ways love is already shaping your days.
You may find, as so many people have told me over the years, that the moments that bring the deepest comfort aren't always the ones you were expecting. Quite often they're woven into ordinary life so naturally that you only recognize how much they matter when you pause long enough to look back.
If this has given you a different way of looking at your own experience, then I'm grateful we've had this time together. My hope has never been to tell you what to believe. It's simply to share what years of sitting with people whose lives have been forever changed by love and loss have taught me.
And if, one day, you'd like to explore your own questions a little more personally, I'd be honored to meet you. Until then, be patient with yourself. Healing isn't something we accomplish. It's something we gradually grow into, often with far more grace than we realize while we're living through it.
Want more like this in your inbox? Get one story a week on grief, mediumship, and what I've learned from years of sitting with people who are healing, straight from my writing here on the blog. Join the list ➞
No comments:
Post a Comment