What Actually Happens During a Mediumship Reading
People are often surprised to learn how ordinary a reading actually looks from the outside. There's no dramatic lighting, no theatrical pause before a big reveal, none of the things television has trained us to expect. Most of the time, it looks like two people sitting across from each other, having a conversation, except one of us is also listening to something the other person can't hear yet.
I usually begin by explaining that I don't control what comes through or in what order. I'm not working from a script, and I'm not fishing for information by asking a lot of leading questions. What I'm doing is paying attention to thoughts, images, feelings, and impressions that arrive with a different quality than my own everyday thinking, and then describing exactly what I'm receiving as clearly and honestly as I can.
Sometimes that starts with something physical. I might feel a specific kind of discomfort in my chest that turns out to correspond to a heart condition the person in spirit had. Sometimes it starts with a symbol or image, a specific flower, a certain kind of hat, a red truck, that means nothing to me personally but means everything to the person sitting across from me. I share what I'm getting, and I let the sitter tell me whether it lands.
I always encourage people to simply say yes or no rather than filling in the blanks for me. It's tempting, especially when someone is desperate for a connection, to stretch a piece of evidence until it fits. I try to hold the line there, because the moments that matter most are the ones where the sitter recognizes something clearly and immediately, without needing to work very hard to make it fit.
A reading typically moves through a mix of evidence like this, family details, personality traits, specific memories, sometimes messages meant to bring comfort or resolve something left unsaid. It rarely follows a tidy structure. Sometimes the person the sitter most wants to hear from isn't the first one to come through. Sometimes an entire session is dominated by one relative, while someone else the sitter was hoping for barely says a word. I've learned not to force that process, because more often than not, whoever comes through first has a reason for being there, even if it isn't obvious right away.
What I want people to understand before their first reading is that it isn't a performance, and it isn't magic in the way movies portray it. It's closer to translation. I'm simply trying to accurately relay what I'm receiving from someone who loved you, in a form you'll recognize, so that the two of you can have a moment of connection that grief has made difficult to have any other way.
If This Resonated With You...
Continue Reading? You might also like What I Wish Everyone Knew About Mediumship Before Booking Their First Reading, where I go deeper into what to expect and how to prepare your heart for the experience.
Ready to Experience a Reading? If you're feeling drawn to connect with a loved one in spirit, I'd be honored to work with you.
Book a mediumship reading at www.aperfectsoul.com
Browse More Articles Explore more articles about mediumship, signs from loved ones, grief, dreams, and the afterlife on the blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment