Do You Have to Believe in Mediumship Before Having a Reading?
Over the years I've had many people begin our conversation by saying almost the same thing. They'll smile a little nervously before admitting, "I probably should tell you that I'm not even sure I believe in mediumship." Sometimes they seem almost embarrassed to say it, as though they're worried I'll tell them there's no point in having a reading if they aren't already convinced that communication with the spirit world is possible. I always find myself reassuring them that they're not the first person to feel that way, and they certainly won't be the last.
The truth is, I don't expect people to arrive believing anything at all. If someone has scheduled a reading with me, I assume they're curious. They may be hopeful, skeptical, uncertain, or simply wondering whether it's even possible that the person they miss so deeply could still exist in some way. Those are all perfectly natural feelings, and none of them prevent a meaningful reading from taking place.
In fact, some of the most memorable readings I've ever experienced have been with people who described themselves as complete skeptics. They weren't trying to challenge me or prove me wrong. They simply weren't willing to accept extraordinary claims without seeing something that felt convincing to them personally. To be honest, I've always respected that approach. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking questions or wanting evidence before changing your mind about something as significant as life after death.
Perhaps that's one of the reasons I describe myself as an evidential medium. My role has never been to persuade someone to adopt my beliefs. Instead, my responsibility is to communicate the evidence exactly as I receive it and allow the person sitting in front of me to decide for themselves what that evidence means. If someone in spirit begins describing their personality, reminds you of a private family memory, talks about a hobby they loved, or shares something that no stranger could reasonably know, those details belong to your life, not mine. You don't have to believe me simply because I'm the one saying them. You recognize them because they're already part of your own relationship with the person who has come forward.
Often I've thought that's true in many areas of life. Most of us don't change our minds because someone tells us what to believe. We change our minds because we've had an experience that causes us to see something differently than we did before. Mediumship is no different. I've watched people arrive feeling uncertain, only to leave saying, "I still don't know exactly how to explain what happened, but I know you couldn't have known those things." I never feel the need to push them beyond that point because I don't believe certainty can be forced. Sometimes it grows quietly after we've had time to reflect on an experience that touched us in a meaningful way.
One of the things I appreciate most about this work is that it leaves room for people to think for themselves. You don't have to abandon common sense, and you certainly don't have to set aside healthy skepticism. Those qualities have never interfered with a reading because they aren't the things that determine whether communication takes place. I've conducted readings for people from many different religious backgrounds, people who considered themselves spiritual but not religious, and people who didn't think they believed in anything beyond this life. What they all had in common wasn't belief. It was love for someone they missed.
If you've been considering a mediumship reading but have hesitated because you're unsure what you believe, I hope you'll let yourself relax a little. You don't have to convince yourself of anything before we meet, and you don't have to pretend you're more spiritual than you feel. Simply come with an open mind and allow the experience to unfold naturally. If meaningful evidence comes through, you'll recognize it because it belongs to your story. What you choose to believe afterward has always been, and will always remain, entirely your decision.
Grief is a journey, and none of us is meant to walk it alone. Whether you're searching for answers, hoping to better understand mediumship, or simply looking for reassurance that love continues beyond this life, I'd be honored to be part of your journey. You can learn more about my work, my book, and private evidential mediumship readings at A Perfect Soul
No comments:
Post a Comment