Saturday, July 25, 2026

What Happens During a Mediumship Reading? A Gentle Guide for First-Timers

 What Happens During a Mediumship Reading? A Gentle Guide for First-Timers

Booking a mediumship reading can feel like a much bigger step than most people realize.


From the outside, it may seem as though you're simply scheduling an appointment, but that's rarely what it feels like when you're the one making the booking. More often than not, you're carrying a mixture of hope, curiosity, skepticism, and nervousness all at the same time. You aren't just wondering what will happen during the reading. You're wondering whether you'll hear from the person you miss most, whether you'll become emotional, or whether you've even made the right decision in the first place.


I've had people tell me they almost cancelled their appointment several times before we met. Not because they didn't want the reading, but because they were afraid of being disappointed. Others worried they wouldn't know what to say, that they might somehow do something wrong, or that I would expect them to provide information throughout the session. By the time we actually began talking, many of them admitted they had spent far more time worrying about the reading than they ever needed to.


Unless you've experienced a mediumship reading before, there's really no way to know what it actually feels like. Television programs and social media have created a picture that often bears little resemblance to the way I work. Many people imagine dramatic conversations, elaborate predictions, or mediums asking endless questions until they piece enough information together to tell a story. It's understandable that someone would feel uncertain if that's the only impression they've ever had.


My way of conducting a reading is much quieter than people often expect.


Before we begin, I spend just a few minutes helping you feel comfortable and answering any questions you might have about the process. If it's your first reading, I'll explain that mediumship is spirit directed. In other words, I don't decide which loved one comes forward first, and I don't ask you to tell me about the people you've lost before we begin. My role is to communicate the evidence exactly as I receive it, so that you can recognize the personality, memories, and details that are meaningful to you.

That part matters to me because I don't believe it's my job to interpret the evidence for someone else. If a loved one in spirit shows me a particular memory, object, personality trait, or shared experience, I simply describe it as accurately as I can. It only has to make sense to you. Some of the most meaningful moments in a reading happen when I have no idea why a particular detail matters, yet I watch someone's face change because they recognize it instantly or an intense emotion surfaces.

Over the years I've found that this approach lets people relax, because they quickly realize they aren't responsible for helping me along. You don't need to give me background information or explain your family history before we begin. You can simply listen. Sometimes you'll respond with a yes, a no, or an I'm not sure, but my focus always stays on communicating what I'm receiving rather than gathering information from you. That distinction matters because I want everyone who sits with me to feel confident that the evidence belongs to them, not to a conversation we built together.

A question I hear often is whether everyone receives the same kind of reading.

The answer is no. Every relationship is different.

Spirit communicates through the experiences, memories, personality, and love that were unique to the life they shared with you. For one family, that might mean being reminded of a favorite vacation or a running joke no one else would understand. For another, it may be a habit, a phrase, or an object that immediately brings a loved one to mind. Those details may seem ordinary to anyone listening from the outside, but they're often the very things that convince someone they're genuinely connecting with the person they've been missing. 

Something people don't always voice before a reading is whether they'll become emotional. My answer is always the same: there's no right or wrong way to experience a reading, because there's no right or wrong way to experience grief. Some people cry almost from the moment we begin because they've been carrying so much sadness for so long. Others smile through the entire session because hearing evidence from someone they love brings an unexpected sense of joy. Many people move back and forth between laughter and tears without giving it a second thought. Every response is completely natural, because every relationship is unique.

People also wonder whether they have to believe in mediumship for a reading to be meaningful. I don't think they do. Over the years I've sat with people who considered themselves deeply spiritual, people who belonged to organized religions, and people who weren't sure what they believed anymore. I've also worked with individuals who came because a family member encouraged them to book a reading, not because they were convinced it was possible. My responsibility isn't to persuade anyone to adopt my beliefs. It's simply to present the evidence as accurately as I receive it and let each person decide for themselves what it means.

This has always been one of the parts of mediumship I value most. A reading isn't about convincing someone of anything. It's about making room for a genuine experience to unfold. Some pieces of evidence are recognized immediately because they're tied to a memory no one else could possibly know. Occasionally something won't make sense in the moment but becomes meaningful later, after you've had time to reflect or talk with another family member. Neither situation worries me, because I don't believe it's my role to force an interpretation. My responsibility begins and ends with communicating the information as faithfully as I can.

It's also worth knowing that not every moment of a reading carries the same emotional weight. There are times when spirit shares deeply touching memories that leave the room completely silent, and other times when everyone is laughing because a loved one's personality comes through so clearly it's impossible not to smile. One of the things I enjoy most about this work is being reminded that people don't lose their personalities when they leave this world. The same sense of humor, the same expressions, the same quirks that made someone uniquely themselves often become some of the strongest pieces of evidence during a reading.

Every so often someone asks whether they should prepare questions beforehand. I explain that mediumship is different from a psychic reading because it's spirit directed. Rather than arriving with a list of topics I intend to cover, I let the communicator in spirit guide the conversation. Again and again I've watched loved ones bring forward exactly the memories, personality traits, and evidence that matter most to the person sitting with me. Sometimes they answer questions you never had the chance to ask aloud. Other times they simply remind you that the bond you shared hasn't been broken by death. I've learned to trust that process, because I've seen it unfold too many times to call it coincidence.

If you're considering your first reading, my hope is that you'll arrive without feeling like you have to perform or make something happen. You don't need to know the right words to say, and you certainly don't need to help me by filling in pieces of information. In fact, the less pressure you place on yourself, the more relaxed the experience usually becomes. My focus stays exactly where it should be, on communicating the evidence I'm receiving while creating a space where you can simply listen and let the experience unfold naturally.

When the reading comes to an end, I don't expect you to have every question answered or every part of your grief resolved. That's never been my goal. Grief doesn't work that way, and neither does healing. What I do hope is that you leave feeling a little lighter than when you arrived. Sometimes that's because you've recognized unmistakable evidence from someone you love. Sometimes it's because you've been reminded that love keeps influencing our lives in ways we don't always expect. And sometimes it's simply because you've spent an hour remembering the person you miss with more smiles than tears.

So if you've been thinking about scheduling a mediumship reading but have been feeling uncertain or nervous, I hope this has helped remove some of the mystery around the process. Whether you decide to book a reading now, sometime in the future, or simply keep learning through these articles, I want you to move at a pace that feels comfortable for you. Grief asks enough of us without adding pressure or unrealistic expectations. Whenever the time feels right, I'll be here to communicate the evidence exactly as it's given to me, allowing you to recognize the moments that are meaningful to your own relationship with the person you love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happens During a Mediumship Reading? A Gentle Guide for First-Timers

 What Happens During a Mediumship Reading? A Gentle Guide for First-Timers Booking a mediumship reading can feel like a much bigger step tha...