What I Wish Everyone Knew About Mediumship Before Booking Their First Reading
There are certain conversations I've had so many times that I can almost predict how they'll start. Someone will call or email saying they're thinking about booking a reading, but before they do, they have a few questions. Sometimes those questions are practical, how long the reading lasts, whether they should bring a list of things to ask. More often, though, the questions come from uncertainty, because they're trying to decide whether mediumship is something they can trust.
I understand that hesitation completely.
If you've never had a reading before, you're being asked to step into something you can't really compare to anything else. Maybe you've seen television programs where mediums seem to know everything instantly, or maybe you've read stories online that left you wondering whether mediumship is real or just wishful thinking. Somewhere between those two extremes are people who quietly hope there's something to it, but are afraid of being disappointed.
I've met all of those people.
Some arrive convinced mediumship can't possibly be real and leave with questions they never expected to ask. Others come hoping for an experience that will erase every ounce of grief they carry, only to discover that healing rarely happens in a single afternoon. Then there are people who walk in with an open mind, no expectations, willing to just see what unfolds. Interestingly, they're often the ones who settle into the experience most naturally, because they're not trying to force it into something it was never meant to be.
When someone asks what they should know before their first reading, I rarely start by talking about mediumship itself. Instead, I ask them to think about the person they're hoping to hear from and the relationship they shared. Because in my experience, mediumship was never about collecting impressive pieces of information. At its heart, it's about reconnecting with someone whose life mattered deeply to you.
That might sound like a small distinction, but I think it changes everything.
When people approach a reading like it's a test they need to pass, they often get so focused on evaluating every sentence that they miss the experience happening right in front of them. I understand why. We all want reassurance that the person coming through is genuinely the one we love. Evidence matters, and it should. Evidential mediumship is built on recognition, because without recognition, there's no meaningful communication.
At the same time, recognition doesn't always show up the dramatic way people expect.
I remember a gentleman who spent the first twenty minutes of his reading quietly nodding as piece after piece of evidence came through. His father's job, his unusual hobby, the way he always whistled while working around the house, even the old pickup truck he refused to replace no matter how much everyone nagged him. Every detail landed, and yet his expression stayed thoughtful rather than emotional.
Near the end, his father brought up something so ordinary another person might have dismissed it completely. Every Sunday morning, he'd wake before the rest of the family, make himself a cup of coffee, and sit by the kitchen window reading the newspaper before anyone else came downstairs. He'd always fold one particular section and leave it on the table, because he knew his son liked to read it first.
The gentleman looked at me for several seconds before his eyes filled with tears.
He smiled and quietly said, "Nobody knew he did that except me."
Of everything that came through during that reading, it wasn't the career, the truck, or the hobby that touched him most.
It was a simple memory.
The kind that lives inside a relationship.
That experience reminded me, once again, that mediumship isn't measured by how spectacular the information sounds. More often it's the ordinary moments that become extraordinary, because they're woven into the fabric of a life two people shared. Those details can't be found on social media, in an obituary, or through careful guesswork. They belong to a relationship, and that's exactly why they carry so much weight.
One misconception I'd love to see disappear is the idea that a successful reading has to answer every question a client has ever had. That would certainly make people happy, but it hasn't been my experience after years of doing this work. Spirit communication unfolds much like any meaningful conversation. Some subjects get explored in depth. Others are touched on briefly, and occasionally a question that seemed vitally important beforehand becomes much less significant, because the reading has already given something more valuable.
I've watched that happen many times.
Someone arrives carrying years of uncertainty, and leaves saying, "I didn't get every answer I thought I needed, but somehow I feel at peace."
That's a fascinating thing to hear, because peace doesn't always come from knowing more.
Sometimes it comes from feeling connected again.
One of the things mediumship has taught me over the years has very little to do with communicating with spirit and everything to do with understanding people. Before I ever sit down for a reading, I know the person across from me isn't bringing a list of questions out of curiosity. Those questions represent a relationship. Birthdays that will never be celebrated the same way again. Conversations that ended too soon. Ordinary moments that have become priceless because they can never happen again.
I never lose sight of that.
It's part of why I take such care explaining what a reading is actually meant to be. I don't want someone walking through my door believing they're about to watch a performance or something out of a television program. My hope is that they understand they're about to take part in something far more personal. They're giving themselves permission, maybe for the first time in a long while, to reconnect with someone whose absence has left an enormous space in their life.
Because of that, I don't measure a reading by how much evidence comes through or how dramatic it looks to someone watching from outside. What matters to me is whether the person in front of me recognizes the loved one who's communicating. Recognition changes everything. Once someone hears a familiar expression only their father ever used, or a family memory no stranger could know, something starts to soften. The conversation stops being about proving survival after death. It becomes a reunion, however brief, with someone whose presence still matters deeply.
I remember a woman who apologized before we'd even begun, because she was convinced she'd spend the whole reading crying. She told me she was embarrassed by how emotional she'd become since losing her mother and worried she wouldn't be able to focus. I told her there was nothing she needed to do except be herself, because grief has never followed a script, and neither do readings.
As the communication unfolded, her mother didn't open with profound messages about the afterlife. She talked about baking together every Christmas, gently laughed about her daughter's habit of ignoring recipes, and brought through little memories that could only belong to the two of them. Watching my client, I noticed something remarkable. The tears she'd expected never fully went away, but they quietly gave way to laughter. For a few precious moments she wasn't thinking about the hospital room or the funeral. She was remembering what it felt like to be her mother's daughter again.
That experience has stayed with me because it shows something I see over and over. Grief has a way of narrowing our focus until the final days of someone's life overshadow everything that came before them. A meaningful reading gently widens that view again. It reminds us a lifetime can't be defined by its ending. The relationship was built through thousands of ordinary moments that probably didn't seem especially important at the time. Looking back, those are often the memories we treasure most, because they remind us of the life we shared, not just the loss we endured.
Maybe that's why the most meaningful evidence is so often the simplest. Not necessarily the information that would impress a room full of strangers. It's the tiny detail that brings a smile to one person's face because they recognize the heart behind it. Those quiet moments have convinced me that love has always lived in the ordinary. We just don't realize how extraordinary ordinary moments are until we can't make new ones anymore.
Looking back over the years I've been doing this work, the most meaningful readings I remember aren't the ones people left talking about astonishing evidence. That certainly has its place, and it can be incredibly validating. The readings that stay with me most are the ones where I watched someone's shoulders relax for the first time in months, or a genuine smile slowly replace the sadness they'd carried into the room.
Those are the moments that remind me why I became a medium in the first place.
People sometimes assume mediumship is about proving life after death. Evidence is an essential part of every reading, but I've come to believe it serves a bigger purpose. Evidence helps us recognize who's communicating, but recognition is only the beginning. Once that connection is established, something more important gets to unfold. The conversation stops being about proving someone still exists and becomes a reminder that love hasn't disappeared just because we can no longer see the person we miss.
That shift might seem subtle, but I've watched it transform people.
I remember a gentleman who reached out several weeks after his reading, wanting to share something that had surprised him. During the session, he'd been completely focused on getting evidence that his wife was still with him. Looking back, that wasn't what stayed with him at all. What stayed was how he felt after leaving. For the first time since her death, he found himself talking about her with his children without feeling overwhelmed by sadness. They spent the whole evening trading stories that hadn't been told since before the funeral, and somewhere in there he realized they'd laughed together more than they'd cried.
He said something I'll never forget.
"I came hoping to hear from my wife," he told me. "What I didn't expect was to find a little more of myself."
His words have stayed with me because they describe what healing often looks like better than anything I could have said myself. It rarely arrives all at once, and it almost never announces itself. It quietly starts changing how we carry our grief. We don't stop missing the people we love. We just discover their memory no longer belongs only to loss. It starts making room for gratitude, joy, and the countless ordinary moments that made the relationship so precious in the first place.
If you're thinking about booking your first reading, I hope you'll let yourself arrive with an open mind instead of a long list of expectations. Bring your questions, because they're part of your journey. Bring your memories, because they're part of your story. Most of all, bring your heart exactly as it is. You don't have to be especially spiritual. You don't need to know the "right" way to participate, and you definitely don't have to worry about saying or doing the wrong thing.
Just come as yourself.
I've found that being genuine creates far more meaningful connections than trying to have the perfect reading ever could.
If you decide a reading isn't the right step for you right now, that's completely okay too. There are many paths through grief, and no single one is right for everyone. My hope has never been to convince people they need a reading. It's to give honest information so people can make the decision that feels right for them.
That same intention is what led me to write my book, They're Still Here: A Medium Shares the Proof That Love Never Dies. Over the years I realized that many of the questions people asked before and after a reading were the same questions being asked by countless others who might never schedule an appointment with a medium. I wanted to create something that would answer those questions thoughtfully, explain how evidential mediumship actually works, share true stories that have deeply touched my own life, and, above all, reassure grieving people that they're not alone in what they're experiencing.
Whether you eventually choose to have a reading, read the book, or just keep exploring these articles at your own pace, I hope you've come away with one understanding that matters more than anything else I've shared.
The relationship you had with the person you love did not end the day they died.
It changed.
The conversations may be different now. The way you remember them may keep evolving. The grief you're carrying today won't always feel exactly like this. But the love that shaped your relationship keeps leaving its imprint on your life every single day, often so quietly and naturally that we don't notice until we stop long enough to reflect.
If these articles have helped you do that, then they've served the purpose I hoped they would. They've opened a conversation about grief, healing, and mediumship grounded in compassion rather than fear, curiosity rather than certainty, and hope rather than unrealistic promises.
Thank you for spending this time with me. It's been a privilege to walk beside you for a little while, and I sincerely hope that wherever you are on your journey, you keep moving forward knowing love has a remarkable way of remaining present in our lives, even after death has changed how we experience it.
Want more like this in your inbox? Get one story a week on grief, mediumship, and what I've learned from years of sitting with people who are healing, straight from my writing here on the blog. Join the list ➞
No comments:
Post a Comment